1 gal. Veloute Sauce, Veal or Chicken
8 Egg Yolks
24 fl. oz. Heavy Cream
1 fl. oz. Lemon Juice
1. In a sauce pot bring the veloute sauce to a light simmer.
2. Meanwhile make a liaison in a stainless steel bowl by whipping yolks and heavy cream together then pouring about a third of the simmering veloute in while whisking. This tempers the liaison to the veloute raising the temperature of the egg cream mixture so the eggs don’t coagulate when mixed with the rest of the veloute.
3. Once tempered together slowly pour the now warmed liaison into the simmering veloute while constantly whisking.
4. Bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer... DO NOT BOIL!!!
5. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Strain through cheesecloth lined chinois, china cap or strainer of whatever sort you have available.
Interesting History & Trivia: