1 tsp. White Peppercorns, crushed
2 oz. Shallots, chopped
5 Tbsp. Fresh Tarragon, chopped
3 Tbsp. Fresh Chervil, chopped
8 fl. oz. White wine vinegar
2 fl. oz. Water
6 Yolks, pasteurized
1.5 fl. oz. Lemon Juice
1 pt. Clarified Butter
TT S/Wh. Pepper
TT Cayenne Pepper
1. Set up a double boiler.
2. In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, water, shallots, tarragon, chervil and peppercorns and reduce to 3 fl. oz. Strain through a fine chinois.
3. Place the yolks in a stainless steel bowl. Combine with the reduction which should measure to 1/2 fluid oz per yolk and whip over double boiler until nape. DO NOT OVER COOK THE YOLKS ... RESPECT THE YOLKS.
4. Whip in 1 fl. oz. of lemon juice to stop the yolks from cooking.
5. Begin to add the warmed clarified butter to the yolk mixture one drop at a time while whisking to emulsify. Once the emulsification process has begun you may add the butter a little more quickly. Continue to whip until all the butter has been blended.
6. Whip in the remaining lemon juice.
7. Taste, Season, Taste...
8. Strain through a cheesecloth if any impurities or minor lumps are in sauce and hold warmly for up to 1-1/2 hours.
24 Fluid Ounces
Interesting History & Trivia: