BROWN STOCK #1
12 # Beef shanks
9 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 # Mirepoix, medium dice
1 Garlic head, sliced in half
1 cup Cold Water or other stock
9 quarts Cold Water
1 Bouquet Garni
1 # Pork Rinds, blanched
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut shanks into 1.5 inch thick pieces. Remove fat and pat completely dry.
3. Pour 8 Tbsp. of the oil in a roasting pan and heat roasting pan over burners (if possible you need to use at least 2). When hot enough place shanks in roasting pan one at a time. Gently brown on all sides.
4. While browning meat be careful not to burn so as to render a well caramelized fond on the bottom of the pan. When browned on all sides remove meat and pour out excess oil.
5. Add remaining oil (add another tablespoon or 2 if needed) and gently brown mirepoix and garlic. When aromatic deglaze roasting pan with cup of cold water or other stock using a wooden spoon to free up fond on bottom of pan.
6. If the fond has burned this is all for nothing ... you can still use the meat and mirepoix but do not deglaze the pan if burned.
7. Add the meat, mirepoix, garlic and deglazed pan juices to appropriately sized stock pot.
8. Place on medium high to high heat and monitor carefully. The idea is to evaporate the deglazed liquid onto the bottom of the stock pot and ingredients without burning. This not only enhances final flavor but helps to extract juices from meat and mirepoix.
9. Throw in blanched pork rinds and cover completely with the cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
10. Add the bouquet garni.
11. Simmer for about 5-6 hours being careful to skim regularly especially for the first hour.
12. Never stir.
13. When finished strain through cheesecloth lined chinois or china cap. Try not to move or press meat or mirepoix too much or stock may become cloudy.
Interesting History & Trivia: