BROWN STOCK #2
15# Bones, veal or beef (cut in 3- to 4- inches)
3 Gal Cold Water
8oz. Tomato Paste
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. Peppercorns, crushed
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
12 Parsley stems
1. Place the bones in a roasting pan a single layer deep and roast them at 375 F. for about an hour. Turn them during roasting process to evenly caramelize and prevent burning.
2. When evenly brown place bones in a stockpot. Remove the fat from the roasting pan and save it for future use.
3. Deglaze the roasting pan with part of the cold water and a wooden spoon.
4. Add deglazing liquor and remaining cold water to stockpot covering bones completely. Bring water to boil and reduce to a simmer.
5. Put mirepoix in roasting pan and use some of the reserved fat to saute until evenly brown before adding to simmering stock.
6. At this point add sachet and tomato paste. Try to break up the tomato paste as you add it so as to simmer in evenly.
7. Continue to simmer for 6-8 hours while skimming regularly. Do not stir.
8. Strain through a cheesecloth lined chinois into a nonreactive container. Place container into cold water preferably in a sink with cold running water being careful not to let running water drip or splash into stock.
Interesting History & Trivia: