2.5 qts. Chicken stock or broth (duck or lean pork versions can be used as well)
6 Egg Whites, beat till lightly frothy.
1 # Chicken, ground (duck or lean pork if alternate stock/broth being used)
1 Tbsp. Lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed
8 oz. Mirepoix
SUGGESTED SACHET INGREDIENTS:
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 tsp. Thyme, dried
1/4 tsp. Peppercorns, crushed
4 stems Parsley
2 Star Anise
2 Tbsp. Ginger, fresh, chopped coarsely
2 tsp. Lime zest
3 Tbsp. Lemongrass, chopped
3 Tbsp. Shitake Mushroom Stems
2 Chili Peppers, Thai, chopped coarsely
4 stems Cilantro
1. Drop ground meat, mirepoix, lime juice and beaten egg whites into appropriately sized stock pot and stir it up.
2. Pour 2.5 quarts cold chicken stock/broth (or alternate stock/broth) into stock pot, mix and add sachet making sure to tie end of twine to handle or drape enough over side.
3. Bring mixture to hard simmer making sure NOT to stir. Once a raft begins to form make a hole in the center of this raft. This allows for the stock to continue to evaporate appropriately and to help direct the impurities toward the sides so as to more efficiently gather the unwanted particles for expulsion. Stirring breaks the impurities up and interrupts the clarifying process so make sure NOT to stir.
4. Allow to simmer under the raft for about an hour and half.
5. Strain according to CONSOMME STRAINING PROCEDURE.
Interesting History & Trivia: