CHICKEN PAN ~ FRIED GRAVY
2 Frying Chickens
TT Salt and Pepper
2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tsp. Oregano, dried
1 Tsp. Basil, dried
9.5 Oz. Flour, seasoned
8 Fl. Oz. Buttermilk
4 Oz. Onion, small dice
1.5 Pt. Half-and-half or Chicken Stock
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Add the herbs and spices to 8 Oz. of the flour.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the buttermilk.
4. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour.
5. Pan-fry the chicken in oil until done, approximately 40 minutes, turning so that it cooks evenly. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent the chicken from becoming too dark. Or remove the chicken when well browned, drain it and finish cooking it in the oven.
6. To make the pan gravy, pour off all but 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) oil from the pan, carefully reserving the fond.
7. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent.
8. Add 1.5 Oz. of flour and cook to make a blond roux.
9. Whisk in the liquid and simmer approximately 15 minutes.
10. Strain through cheesecloth and adjust the seasoning.
11. Serve 2 pieces of chicken per person with 4 Fl. Oz. of gravy.
Interesting History & Trivia: