4# Chicken carcass and bones
2 qt. Cold Water
1 Carrot, peeled
1 Celery Stalk
1 Leak leaf
1 sprig Thyme, dried
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp. Sea Salt
12 Black Peppercorns
1. Wash chicken carcass and bones and place in large stock pot. Pour the 2 quarts water (more if necessary to cover carcass and bones) in pot. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Skim surface of impurities that surface.
2. Stick clove into onion and drop into simmering water. Add all other ingredients.
3. Place pot slightly off burner... this will help keep the impurities surfacing to one side of the pot making it easier to skim.
4. Simmer for about 2 hours (until reduced to 4 1/2 cups) half covered making sure to skim the surface of unwanted gunk with a slotted spoon from time to time.
5. A strainer will do but if available, pour stock through cheesecloth lined chinois into a nonreactive container, cool and refrigerate or freeze for future use.
Interesting History & Trivia: