CHILIAN CORN CHOWDER
1/2 # Dry White Beans
1 qt. Clams, cherrystone, shucked, reserve the juice
2 stalks Celery, chopped
1 pc. Ginger, fresh
1 Leek, chopped
1 Carrot, small, peeled and chopped
3 sprigs Mint, fresh
8 sprigs Oregano, fresh
2 Red Chili Pepper, dried, crumbled
3 Tomatoes, lg, concasse, minced, reserve skins, juice and seeds.
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
1. Rinse beans then soak overnight in 6-8 cups of water for 8 to 10 hours.
2. Next day simmer beans in soaking liquid for about half an hour...until beans are tender but not breaking up.
3. Drain reserving the water separately from the beans.
4. Drain clam juice and reserve separately from clams.
5. Combine clam juice with bean liquid ... if you don’t have 5 cups then add additional tap water to make 5 cups.
6. Combine 5 cups liquid with pretty much everything else except for garlic, olive oil, beans and minced tomatoes (just the minced, do add the skins, juice and seeds). Bring to a boil reduce to a low simmer for about 20-25 minutes making sure to skim the foam as needed. Set pot to side of flame so foam collects.
7. Turn off stove, let cool for a lil’ bit and strain through a cheesecloth lined chinois. Grip up cheesecloth and squeeze out every top you can.
8. This should be about 4 cups.
9. Take the 4 cups (add water if you need) and blend with beans in blender in batches until smooth. Press the beans through a sieve to remove the skins pressing to make sure you get as much as possible.
Interesting History & Trivia: