CRAB & BRIE IN PHYLLO
1 Tbsp Butter, Softened
2 Tbsp Shallots, minced
1/2# Crabmeat, completely deshelled
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Parsley, minced
1/2# Pierre Robert or Soft Brie Cheese
15 sheets Phyllo Dough
3/4 cups Clarified Butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Sweat shallots in whole butter until lightly brown and add crabmeat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, tabasco, parsley and other desired flavorings.
3. Spread thin layers of cheese over crab mixture over low heat until cheese is soft enough to stir into mixture being careful not to break up lumps of crab meat.
4. When the mixture is fairly uniform remove carefully and let cool in nonreactive container.
5. Remove 15 sheets of phyllo carefully. Place under wax paper, plastic wrap or other nonstick sheets of anything. Make sure to be fully covered to prevent dough from drying as it does quickly.
6. Remove covering and cut in half all 15 sheets at once. Make sure to use a very sharp knife as phyllo is very delicate. and tares easily.
7. Lay out 1 strip of dough length wise so that the short end is facing you. Take a pastry brush and spread a thin layer of barely warm clarified butter over strip. Fold in half and repeat.
8. Place approximately 1-1.5 tsp of filling in bottom corner of dough. Make a triangle fold with dough. When finished folding layer with a final dab of clarified butter.
9. Bake in preheated oven on buttered baking sheet until golden (approximately 20-25 minutes).
Interesting History & Trivia: