1 Konbu strip about 18 inches
5 cups Water
1 ounce Hana-katsuo (bonito flakes)
1. Gently hydrate konbu strip with barely dampened towl.
2. Fold in half and place in sauce pan.
3. Cover with water and bring to gentle simmer at low to medium heat.
4. Remove konbu from water after about 10-15 minutes and take off the heat.
5. Stir in the bonito flakes and infuse for 1 minute.
6. Strain and reserve.
Experiment with adding sake, mirin, miso and soy sauce. By either stirring or simmering in quantities to taste you are altering the sauce fuunnnyaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!
Interesting History & Trivia: