EGG CUSTARD & TOMATO SAUCE
4 cups Milk
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. Pepper, freshly ground
2-4 cups Tomato Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bring milk and salt to a light boil and immediately remove from heat.
3. Grease a charlotte mold or similar straight sided mold.
4. Beat eggs completely. While beating eggs begin adding warmed milk 1 tablespoon at a time. After eggs are warmed by milk (6-8 tablespoons) pour in remaining milk and the cheese while continuing to beat.
5. Beat a final stir and pour into the mold.
6. Pour enough water into a baking dish so that the water will come about half way up the sides of the mold. Place mold in baking dish with water
7. Bake until done (about 30 minutes or so). Custard is done when you can dip a toothpick into the center and pull it out clean.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 4 or 5 minutes then turn out onto a dish (a warmed dish preferably).
9. Garnish with tomato sauce.
Interesting History & Trivia: