1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 Tbsp. Cheese of choice, grated
1/4 cup Butter, unsalted and cut into tiny cubes
NOTE: I LOVE this dish! It is impressive, very cool and this initial recipe can really be manipulated to taste. HOWEVER, I strongly suggest practicing this a few times before trying it to impress. It is a VERY delicate dish which needs to be made exactly right and served immediately. The dish can go horribly wrong with even so much as an unfamiliar oven. It is not difficult it is just very particular about the manner in which it is cooked and served so be delicate and exact in your preparation.
1. With that said preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Separate whites from yolks. Combine whites into a mixing bowl and keep each yolk separate ideally in the egg shells. DO NOT BREAK YOLKS. If you do, crack another egg, remove the white and keep the yolk intact separately.
3. Add the salt to the whites and beat to stiff peaks. The whites are stiff enough when you can gently lay a tsp on them without it sinking in.
4. Grease an oven proof dish of appropriate size and pour in egg whites.
5. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon then create 6 divots of equal size and equally spread apart in the top of the whites.
6. Carefully slide yolks, 1 yolk per divot, into the divots. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese and place little cubes of butter evenly along top.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes on the floor of the oven.
8. Once you have done this successfully a couple of times and feel confident you may experiment with adding yolks half way through baking process as well as adding different herbs and spices.
9. Always serve immediately and garnish according to taste.
Interesting History & Trivia: