52 fl. oz. Tomato Sauce of choice
1/4 Cup Basil, ripped
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper, dried crushed
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Parmesan, grated
1-1.5# Eggplant, slice 1/4-1/2 inch thick
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
TT S/Wh. Pepper
3 Eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. Water
1 Cup Flour
6 Tbsp. Olive Oil
6 Lasagna Noodles
15 oz. Ricotta
8 oz. Mozzarella
1. Gently simmer tomato sauce, fresh basil and red pepper flakes in sauce pan for about 30 minutes. Season to taste with Salt and White Pepper. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and parmesan.
2. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and black pepper. Mix together eggs and 3 Tbsp. water. Lightly coat eggplant slices in flour, dip in egg and water mixture and lightly coat again in flour.
3. Heat about a tablespoon and a half of oil in pan and sauté slices in batches until lightly golden on first side (4-5 minutes) then flip over and saute again. Remove to absorbent paper towels and continue until all eggplant has been cooked. You will probably want to wipe saute pan clean between batches.
4. Lay 3 noodles in appropriately sized, lightly sprayed or greased baking dish and top with 1/3 of the tomato sauce and half the eggplant. Spread half the ricotta cheese over eggplant and spread or layer half the mozzarella over that. Repeat layering process and finish with final third of sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting.
Interesting History & Trivia: