2 # Mirepoix
8 fl. oz. Clarified Butter
8 oz. Flour
5 qt. Brown Stock
8 oz. Tomato Puree
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Dried Thyme
1/4 Peppercorns, crushed
8 Parsley Stems
1. Sauté mirepoix in clarified butter then add flour, mix with a wooden spoon and cook until it becomes a brown roux.
2. Add stock and tomato puree being sure to whisk or stir out and lumps. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
3. Add sachet and simmer for apx 1 1/2 hours allowing for some reduction in the sauce being sure to skim surface as necessary.
4. Strain through a cheese cloth lined chinois if possible.
5. Taste, Season Taste and either serve or cool and reserve.
Interesting History & Trivia: