1 # Mirepoix, small dice
8 oz. Mushroom trimmings
2 fl. oz. Butter, clarified
10 # Fish bones and crustacean shells
5 qt. Water
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Thyme, dried
1/2 tsp. Peppercorns, crushed
8 Parsley Stems
1. Sauté mirepoix and mushrooms for a couple of a minutes.
2. Add everything else except sachet.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and push stock pot slightly to one side so impurities gather in pot.
4. Add sachet and simmer for about 45 minutes, skim as necessary.
6. If possible use a cheesecloth lined chinois to strain into a clean bowl or pot. Cool in sink with running water being careful NOT to get any water into stock.
Interesting History & Trivia: