FRENCH ONION SOUP #1
3 oz. Butter
1 # Large Onions, slice thin
1 Tbsp. All-Purp Flour
1.5 qt. Chicken or Beef Stock
12 slices Baguette
3 oz. Emmenthaler Cheese, grated
1. Using a large saucepan melt the butter and gently cook onions over low heat until soft and golden. 15-20 minutes.
2. Sift or sprinkle flour over onions and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
3. Add stock, season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil before covering and reducing to a low flame. Continue cooking for about 45 minutes.
5. Toast slices of bread shortly before the soup is ready.
6. Distribute toasted slices of baguette into flame proof french onion soup bowls and sprinkle lightly with grated cheese.
7. Pour soup into bowls and sprinkle remaining cheese on tops.
8. Place under broiler close to flame until cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown.
Interesting History & Trivia: