2 cups Rice, white and long grain
4 cups Almonds, skinless
1 Piece of cinnamon bark about 2 inches
1 gallon Water
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
A bag of ice
1. Wash and drain the rice. Grind until fine using a spice or coffee grinder. Mix with almonds and cinnamon bark
2. Add 3 and a half cups of water to the mixture and let sit overnight in a covered container.
3. Blend mixture until smooth using a blender.
4. Add 2 and a half more cups of water and continue blending. Add sugar and vanilla.
5. Strain Horchata through a fine metal strainer. Strain again through cheesecloth.
6. Add more water until desired milky like consistency is reached... about 2 cups.
7. Enjoy over ice.
Interesting History & Trivia: