3.5 oz. Almonds, powdered
3 oz. Confectioners Sugar
1 oz. Cake Flour
4.75 oz. Whole Eggs
3.25 oz. Egg Whites
2.5 tsp Sugar
.25 tsp Salt
1.25 oz Butter, melted
1. This is a dense sponge cake made with hazel or almond flour commonly used as lining or for decoration purposes. It has a very high egg content creating a dense, flexible product. Often dry though and in need of moisture.
2. Grease and parchment ½ sheet tray.
3. Sift confectioners sugar and cake flour together into mixing bowl. Whisk in egg and almond flour until smooth.
4. Separately whip whites to soft peak, gradually add sugar and ¼ tsp salt. Whip to medium peaks.
5. Fold meringue under egg mix leaving streaks.
6. Gently fold in melted butter and fold until uniform.
7. Spread into ½ pan and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
Interesting History & Trivia: