PIE DOUGH, BASIC FLAKY
1# 4oz. Pastry Flour
14 oz. Shortening, regular
6 oz. Water, cold
2 tsp. Salt (optional)
1 oz. Sugar (optional)
1. Sift pastry flour into a bowl with shortening.
2. With a dough cutter cut shortening and flour together until fat particles are about the size of a pea.
3. If using sugar and salt mix with water until dissolved.
4. Mix flour shortening mixture with water gently just until uniformly combined.
5. Turn out into pan or bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Keep refrigerated for 4-24 hours for proper gluten development.
6. Remove and cut for required use.
NOTE: the only difference between mealy and flaky dough is in step 2 which dictates to what level you cut the dough and fat together.
Interesting History & Trivia: