PEPPERJACK & OREGANO CRACKERS
4.5 oz. Flour, all purpose
4 oz. PepperJack Cheese, shredded fine
1 tsp. Oregano, dried and finely chopped
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. White Pepper
2 fl. oz. Vegetable Oil
2 fl. oz. Water
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt, kosher
1. Sift flour into cheese, oregano and regular salt and white pepper. Mix well.
2. Add oil while mixing just to a coarse meal consistency is reached.
3. Add water gradually while mixing so ball turns into a uniform looking round ball that starts to sorta pull away from the bowl.
4. Turn ball out onto counter or cutting board and cut into 4 equal pieces. Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for an hour or two.
5. Meanwhile mix together cayenne, sugar and kosher salt and set aside.
6. Remove from refrigerator and allow to rest for 15 minutes then roll out to about 1/8th of an inch thick.
7. Cut dough with sharp knife, mold or other tool to appropriate size and shape.
8. Place on sheet pan and sprinkle with spice mix.
9. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit then place sheet pan in oven and bake until golden brown on one side before flipping oven and baking until golden brown on other side.
10. Cool on thin wire rack and store in tupperware.
Interesting History & Trivia: