POACHED EGG & RED WINE
1 pint Red Wine of choice (preferably a Burgundy)
3 Shallots, finely chopped
2 Carrots, medium sized, peeled, fine dice
5 oz. Butter
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
TT Sea Salt/Freshly ground blk pepper
1. Cut butter into small cubes and put back into refrigerator.
2. Mix wine, shallots and carrots into a nonreactive sauce pan (that means no aluminum). Bring to a boil and reduce to hard simmer for 5 minutes or so to reduce.
3. Reduce heat to low and vigorously whisk in butter a couple bits at a time until fully incorporated. Take a moment and appreciate the sexy sheen your red wine reduction has developed.... sexxxxiiiieeeee.
4. Strain through cheese cloth and chinois or just chinois or mesh strainer ... whatever’s available and keep warm.
5. In an appropriately sized, non reactive sauce pan combine 2 quarts water with the red wine vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer.
6. Stir water to make a sort of gentle simmering whirl pool.
7. Carefully separate eggs and gently but quickly slide into water while spinning. Don’t let egg yolks break. If necessary do each egg one at a time making sure to flip half way through with a slotted spoon.
8. When finished (about 3-4 minutes) remove to warm plate and drizzle desired amount of red wine reduction over. Salt and Pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Interesting History & Trivia: