POT ROAST w/ BLACK VIN. REDUC
4 Short rib, boneless, square cut at about
8-10 oz. each
1 cup Onion (medium diced)
1/2 cup Carrot (medium diced)
1/2 cup Celery (medium diced)
2 Bay Leaves
5-6 sprigs Parsley, flat leaf
1 cup Zinfandel of choice
1-2 pt Beef Stock
TT Black Vinegar Reduction
2-4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1. In a sauce pot or roasting dish just big enough to fit short rib pieces pour a little bit of olive oil. Place on stove over medium to high heat and sear short ribs on one side then carefully flip and sear other side. Don’t cook the ribs, you just want to sear them for a minute or two to lock in all the flavor and juices.
2. Very quickly (so as to not allow ribs to cool down) remove the meat to a dish and toss onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves and parsley stems into sauce pot or roasting dish (whatever you’re using).
3. Immediately deglaze with wine using wooden spoon to free up bits of fond.
4. Replace ribs and cover with beef stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and place in oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Braise for about 1 and a half to 2 hours or until meat reaches desired tenderness.
6. Remove from oven.
7. When serving remove from braising liquid and garnish with black vinegar reduction. If desired remove onion, carrot and celery from braising liquid with slotted spoon and to garnish meat with.
8. You can discard braising liquid or reserve for future use.
Possible uses for braising liquid include reducing to syrupy consistency to add to other sauce later for intensified flavor OR reducing by half, adding a little heavy cream swirling in some butter, seasoning and if need be thickening to use as sauce for something else.
Interesting History & Trivia: