POTATO AU GRATIN
2-4 oz Clarified Butter
2 Onion, sweet
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
Enough Whole Butter
3# Potatoes, Russet
TT S/White Pepper
TT Nutmeg, use sparingly it’s strong.
6 oz. Gruyere
2 oz. Cheddar
24 fl. oz. Half & Half
1. Peel and slice onions thinly. Flour lightly and saute in butter ... not too much though. Sprinkle brown sugar over onions ... toss onions around and sprinkle a little more brown sugar.
2. Continue to saute until aromatic and caramelized.
3. Remove to absorbent towels.
4. Butter full size hotel pan generously.
5. Peel potatoes and slice thinly. Arrange a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the hotel pan. Ideally if you have time and patience shingle the potatoes layers uniformly. This is not necessary but if you do this with each layer the presentation is much nicer.
6. Sprinkle caramelized onions lightly over potatoes.
7. Season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
8. Sprinkle thin layer of cheese.
9. Another layer of potatoes, season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg and another thin layer of onions and cheese.
10. Repeat process until all the potatoes and about a third of the cheese is used. Oh, save some of the onions too.
11. Bring half and half to a gentle simmer. Whip yolks in a non-reactive bowl and gradually add half and half to bowl while whisking.
12. Pour the cream egg mixture over potatoes evenly and sprinkle remaining onions and cheese on top.
13. Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit uncovered for about an hour or so.
Interesting History & Trivia: