ASPARAGUS & TOFU STIRFRY
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Dry Sherry
12 oz ToFu, firm
1 # Asparagus
1/2 # Mushrooms (Shitake)
2 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
1 tsp. Ginger, minced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. Slurry
1 Chile, dried
2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup Almonds, sliced, toasted lightly
1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, toasted lightly
1. Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, toasted sesame seeds and sherry. Toss the ToFu in marinade. Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 12.
2. Remove ToFu from marinade and reserve both separately.
3. Fill appropriately sized pot with enough water to boil the asparagus.
4. Trim asparagus and cut at an angle into 1 inch pieces.
5. Cook for about 2 minutes in boiling water and then drain and place asparagus into cold water. You don’t want them cooked all the way, just blanched ... on second thought only boil them for about a minute.
NOTE: When you drain make sure to keep the water you blanched the asparagus in if possible.
6. If you are making noodles or rice use the asparagus water to cook with for a hint of flavor.
7. Slice the mushrooms.
8. Separate green ends from white ends of scallions and slice thin.
9. Heat a large wok or non stick pan. Add mushrooms and a dash of salt and cook while stirring gently with a wooden spoon until mushrooms begin to release a little bit of liquid.
10. Add the oil at this point with the white scallions, minced ginger, minced garlic and crushed dried chil.
11. Stir for 30 seconds to a minute (basically until you begin to smell it) then add ToFu. Continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes while stirring until ToFu has browned on all sides.
12. Stir in asparagus, sliced almonds and marinade.
13. Add a little slurry and cook until the dish holds a nice glazed sauce (this should only take a minute or 2).
14. Stir in scallions and cilantro and serve over rice or noodles or whatever’s clever.
15. Season to taste with salt and white or black pepper.
16. Add a dash of soy sauce if desired or fish juice or hot sauce or what ever finish you’d like.
Interesting History & Trivia: