THAI FRIED RICE
2 # Shrimp, whole (thats right, cockroach heads and all)
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp. Chili Paste (plop in soybean oil overnite or buy a can of chili paste in soybean oil)
4-6 Chilies, thai or vietnamese of choice
1 Tbsp. Cilantro stem (not leaves, minced)
1/4 cup Cilantro leaves
1 Qt. Seafood Stock (or chicken if seafood is unavailable)
6 stalks Lemmon grass
3 slices Galangal
10 Kaffir Lime Leaves
2 Tomatoes, roma or plum
15 oz. Straw mushrooms from can
1/4 cup Nahm Plah (fish sauce)
1/2 cup Lime Juice
1 Tbsp. Mango Powder
1. Peel shrimp, remove heads and devein. Lightly rinse heads and shells and reserve in refrigerator.
2. Separately reserve bodies in refrigerator.
3. Remove stems of chilies and cut lengthwise.
4. Mince cilantro stems.
5. Trim lemongrass and cut on a bias. Bruise.
6. Trim galangal to about an 1/8th inch thick.
7. Bruise kaffir lime leaves.
8. Cut tomatoes in 1 inch cubes.
9. Drain mushrooms and cut in half.
10. Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or appropriately sized saucepan.
11. When hot throw in fish heads and shells. Stir a little bit with wooden spoon for a minute or two.
12. Throw in chili paste, chilies, minced cilantro stems. Stir for a few seconds and add stock. Stir, bring boil, reduce to simmer and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
13. Strain into clean sauce pot.
14. Add lemon grass, galangal, lime leaves and mango powder.
Interesting History & Trivia: