TOMATO SAUCE (QUICK)
12 Tomatoes, concassee
2 sprigs Thyme
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp. Pepper, black freshly cracked or white
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 slice Ham, about an inch thick, cut Julienne
2 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted, cut into small cubes
1. Cut your tomatoes concasse into quarters, drop in appropriately sized sauce pot and press with wooden spoon to release juices and seeds.
2. Drop in thyme and bay leaf, add salt and pepper and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
3. If by this point the tomatoes have not broken down and sauce reduced to desired texture you may feel free to puree either with food processor or emulsifier.
4. If desired thickness has not been reached you may use a slurry to thicken but make sure to cook out slurry starchy like taste (5-15 minutes).
5. Strain through a strainer into a sauce pot, add ham and simmer for a few minutes then just keep warm until ready to serve.
6. Just before serving begin adding butter cubes one at a time while stirring to help develop final flavor and sheen. Finish to taste with salt and pepper.
Interesting History & Trivia: