8 fl. oz. Clarified Butter
8 oz. Flour
5 qt. Chicken, Veal or Fish Stock
TT Salt/Wh. Pepper
1. Melt butter in a pan and add flour. Stir with wooden spoon while cooking to form blond roux.
2. Slowly add stock while whisking together roux and stock to avoid lumps.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
4. Reduce to about a gallon, should take about a half hour.
5. Strain. If possible through fine chinois lined with cheesecloth. Use or cool and reserve to make other sauce or future use.
Interesting History & Trivia: