VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLL
2.5 oz. Rice, Vermicelli, dried
6.5 oz. ToFu, firm
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
1 packet Rice papers, 6 inch square
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, julienned
1/2 Carrot, julienned
1/2 cup Mint, fresh
1/3 cup Cashews, roasted and salted, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce (a seafood sauce that contains no fish product)
2 Tbsp. Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
1. Bring water to a boil, turn heat off and drop in Vermicelli noodles. Cover and leave for about ten minutes before draining.
2. Slice ToFu into 4 strips lengthwise and saute in oil until golden ... about 3-4 minutes.
3. Remove to absorbent paper towels. Slice into thick slices lengthwise.
4. Dip rice wrappers in warm water until pliable (about 10-20 seconds).
5. Place wrappers on work surface and lay vermicelli, ToFu, carrot, cucumber, mint and cashews along middle.
6. Wrap gently and firmly seam side down than moisten crease to stick.
7. Mix hoisin, kecap and lime juice in bowl for dipping sauce.
Interesting History & Trivia: